PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FSTA - Cancel PFI and buy outright?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 20:34
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
tornadoken

I'll have what you are drinking!!

How much time do you have?

Firstly, we provide the crews and the majority of the techies. Why? Because, strangely, civvies don't like to go to the frontline that much unless you pay them lots. Therefore cheaper to keep military personnel. Secondly, because military personnel are inherently more flexible (well they used to be before child care and ......) therefore more likely to be available when you need them, even if that is for fireman's strikes, foot and mouth etc etc.
Thirdly, because we will always own the operational risk. Fourthly because Air Tanker will not be as flexible as the military AT & AAR fleets and crews because it isn't in the contract or we will have to pay more to get it in the contract. Next, I can't remember where I got to, there will be no residual value apart from scrap, once we have finished with the fleet - just like the VC10 and Tristar. Because you are mortgaged to the hilt with PFI; the programme will work out at an average of £500M per year through life. You can buy an awful lot of crews, spares, and aircraft for that. And before I burst a blood vessel, because AirTanker are in it to make a profit - which comes from the Defence budget and could be providing capability elsewhere.

And relax!