PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landings in gusty conditions
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 20:06
Mungo Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no way I would want to be whistling along the runway at barton in a cherokee at an IAS of 75kts regardless of the headwind component at 10m......

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, the additions work fine for large aircraft on large runways, on a small aircraft the type of increases you are talking about are massive increases over POH values.
Well, you wouldn't want to maintain appraoch speed until you are over the runway, that would be foolish.

Not all 'large' runways are large when you are flying an airliner. Some of the runways I use at work may look big but are actually relatively small for the aircraft size. Nonetheless we still add up to 20 kts to the approach speed if we need to. However, we must slow down and touchdown at the given Vref for the weight in the touchdown zone. So regardless of approach speed it is still imperative that we touchdown in the right place at the correct speed. I am told to aim to reach Vref at 50ft, which should be when I cross the start of the runway.

Perhaps the reason why airline pilots often struggle with a return to light aviation after a period away.............
Just because we land on 'big' runways doesn't mean we can't control speed.

At the end of the day you can approach flat out in a C152 as long as you slow down at some point and land on the numbers at or near to the stall speed.