PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Crosswind takeoff
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 19:01
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Set and forget? Tell me how do you know the exact amount to be set before you started the T/O roll.
What worked for me 18 years on the 747 also works on the 737. On top of the control wheel are marked divisions in units, what you use to check control wheel central. At the start of the roll, set 1 division into wind per 5kts crosswind component, and leave it there. Later on at high speed, you don't even have to remember which way to put it on, or cope with a wing lifting. It will hold the wing down until you get airborne. Do not take aileron off after lift-off, just leave it. The aeroplane will weathercock into wind, and then you will know when to relax it- once all yaw has washed out. You will find you gently start rolling aileron central, with no wing drop at all. The masters in the BA training section drummed it in long ago on the 747, and it works so well there is no other way.

I see it again and again. As pilots get airborne, off comes the aileron immediately, horrible wing drop followed by reapplication of double the amount of aileron (with a gasp). When the wheels lift off, the aeroplane is in instantaneous yaw, and all they can think is 'I'm airborne- I can't need this aileron!'. They do. All I can say is try it- you will find it works a treat.