PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Crosswind takeoff
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 13:33
Syawriahsitirb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been flying the 737 for some time now and you can go on and on about crosswind takeoff techniques, but like 'PantLoad' mentioned, it's just an aeroplane. The techniques written in the manual are really for those just starting on the aircraft, but as you get more experience, it's a case of feel and react. Apply enough rudder to keep straight on the runway and a bit of aileron to keeps wings level as you rotate. You will prob find you need a little more of each as you lift off the ground, just keep everything straight and level and then about 200ft-400ft slowly start to release the rudder and aileron together. Simple as that. I don't know anything about units of aileron, as I'm not intelligent enough for that. I just fly the aicraft.

Just a quickie - I am little concerned about your comment Rainboe in regards to your frustration at co-pilots slowing to 250kts below 10,000ft. I have flown with guys who just love to kiss the barbers pole in the descent and I have indeed flown like this myself, but have you actually looked at what it saves you. In the time you spend flying around below 10,000ft, whether you're at 250kts or 320kts, it really makes no difference. Your comment of, "to hell with the birds, we're late," suggests you're putting pressure on the first officer to fly faster than perhaps he/she is comfortable with. This is completely and utterly wrong. It makes almost no different in time at all. Have a look at the FMC ETA when you change the descent speeds. If you delete the 250kts below 10,000ft constraint, on more or less every occasion, the ETA will not change. So rather than pressuring your FO's into doing things they're not comfortable with, just sit back in the knowledge that as they gain more experience, perhaps they might just start flying that little bit faster. Plus, is it not a rule now that we must fly 250kts below 10,000ft in the London TMA?

P.S. Are you one of those drivers who drives up the ar** of other drivers?