PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 10:12
Chronic Snoozer

Received 339 Likes on 130 Posts
Roller,

If you fail to plan, plan to fail. I think that sums up the RAAF that I have observed in my time in the service and out. The sheer pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face is characteristic of senior management. Luckily the RAAF survived '87/88 and most of the nineties despite some shocking accidents and a widespread view that 'we've never seen such low levels of experience'. The RAAF has never had a recruiting or training problem - its always been RETENTION. Neither recruiting nor training are solutions.

Which brings me to a question - in your opinion would civilanisation of the Training Command QFI workforce solve this twin experience/retention problem?

One of the other major problems I see is that the RAAF relies on turnover. Not everyone wants to stay in the same job, same location - purely because not all jobs/locations are desirable. Therein lies the issue - fill the slots of all the desirable jobs, keep those guys in there until they retire and there's then only the undesirable jobs left for anyone else. How is that going to work?