PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do We Allow Gyrocopters to Keep Flying?
Old 9th Nov 2007, 09:14
Mere Mortal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructor has a checked history

My condolences go to the family of the deceased and to the Instructor’s family who are now faced with what will be a very long and painful battle of healing and then re-living it during the Coroner’s inquest.

I have to agree with a couple of the previous posts about how safe they are. Used to think they were dangerous until I went for a ride in one, it was OK but not for me. It does come back to the cowboy attitude of some these pilots.

Now a little birdie tells me that the Australian Sports Rotorcraft Association (the governing body) were considering reviewing and changing the way they conduct training due to the 5 fatalities(and now 6) gyros have had in the previous 12months. That’s a lot for such a small group of enthusiasts!

As for the Instructor in question, it was a matter of time. Loved to show off for his Aeroclub old boy mates. Lost his licence for putting on an impromptu airshow at an air rally which he took off pointing straight at the crowd a few years back. After losing his licence continued to fly and train people before CASA hit him again. The list goes on and on!

And its not hearsay, I was a witness. Before someone ask why I didn’t speak up, I did have my say and I am still be harassed for it! This is just like the Nick Coustin/Bathurst strikemaster crash all over again.

MM