PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SE IR during winter time and icing conditons
Old 9th Nov 2007, 08:29
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That King Air, being fairly upmarket, should have had a heated screen which should been on similarly on that flight, so I don't see why his window turned white. Was he not paying attention?

Sorry, I did give the impression we were flying the King Air. We werent - just a very ordinary SEP. I mentioned the other fella because I would not have flown into those conditions at that time by myself.

The point I was seeking to make is you do need to have some idea of what you are doing before entering icing conditions and until you do, it is best kept for cocktails.

I am not convinced about the difference in icing characteristics between modern "laminar" flow plastic aircraft and older designs. On the one hand ice tends to form first on sharp edges and second on any "imperfections" on the skin. Once a little ice has started to accumulate on a flush rivet head behind the leading edge it will build up quickly if conditions remain favourable. Of course plastic aircraft have far fewer "imperfections" or sharp surfaces so they should accumulate ice a lot slower. On the other hand their ability to carry ice one would expect would be no where near as good.

No one surely wants to remain in icing conditions for any length of time. My point about the Aztec is with or without oxygen or pressure for all sorts of reasons it may not be possible to remain clear of icing conditions in the winter if you want to rely on flying, and in an aircraft with its proven capability you have a far greater margin available to operate in these conditions without coming to grief. I was simply suggesting that the entry level for reliable winter operations in most weather is around this level.