PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tyres Creeping on Wheel Rims
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 07:53
3 Point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting thread! I run a flying school in UK and one of our PA28s had a tyre deflate on landing this weekend, the tyre had certainly rotated on the rim and torn the valve stem from the tube; this could of course be a result of the deflation rather than its cause.

I suspect however a combination of low tyre pressure and a heavy foot on the brake pedal at touchdown caused the tyre to creep. I have certainly seen tyre creep over the years but usually as a gradual phenomenon which is visualised by the creep marks and can be corrected by re-setting the tyre on the rim as noted above. I've never seen it actually cause a failure like this, has anybody else, particularly on light aeroplanes?

I suppose there is a disadvantage of toe brakes in that there is always a risk of the pilot accidentally applying some pressure when intending to make a rudder input, bring back the Hunter!

As an aside, the braking system on my Airbus 320 stops the wheels when gear is selected up and I've always understood it to be normal practice to stop the wheels before raising the gear on any aeroplane.

Happy landings (with the brakes off!)
3 point