PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landings in gusty conditions
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 02:33
RatherBeFlying

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
In my two glider outlandings, I have had the time and opportunity to pace out my touchdown point at about 100 yards in after a 50' margin over a putative 50' high power line and rollout distance at about 50 yards from a 55 kt. approach.

This gives me a final approach segment of a 1:3 slope or 18 degrees. As that 100' is an estimate, I can postulate being as low as 75' which would yield a 1:4 slope or about 13 degrees.

Note that these slopes are considerably steeper than your standard 3 degree ILS.

Gusty conditions normally come with strong winds; so, a 3 degree approach can get you low well before getting to the runway and you may well find yourself needing considerable power to get back up to a safe glideslope.

Of course, if you are conducting an ILS approach, you do have the advantage of a properly surveyed approach area, but most rural runways without instrument approaches tend to have trees, powerlines etc. in much closer proximity to the threshold.

Also a 3 degree approach will dump you short of the threshold if the engine quits.

As for speeds, remember that they are based on gross weight. After a few hours of fuel has burned off, the approach speed can be corrected by the factor:

sqrt(landing weight) / sqrt(gross weight)

You may already be adding 3-5 kt. to the proper approach speed and this can definitely influence the float in a low wing a/c.

Just before entering ground effect can be a good time to get rid of some of that added speed for gusts, provided that the gustiness has reduced.

Flaps can reduce aileron control, which is why reduced flaps can work better in some a/c.

Stronger gusts and crosswinds are something you have to work up to in a controlled fashion. Recency in strong winds in type counts for quite a bit. If I've been away from flying a particular a/c for a while, my next few flights will be in gentler conditions.