PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2007, 00:32
Magnersdrinker

"The point is, you never know when you are going to need FDA. Give me the choice and I would take it every time. Suggesting to UOR FDA after service entry just serves to underline the inability of the RAF to demand proper funding to achieve decent aircraft protection."

Yep 100% agree in this ideal world these systems should be in place, i too have sat flying into Basrah with fully body armour on (the days before armour fits,glaring at the wescam screen in hope that you never see a flash from the ground). I guess the bottom line is to have permanaent fixtures in place costs money , with the MR2 fleet on a rundown and they are doing there best to provide these kind of makeshift protection features that is feasably possible (a balance of cost with practicality). I would like to think the MR4 will have permanant fixtures in place,wether or not the MR4 will do the same as the MR2 we will never know.
I think the basic line is things like this are expensive to modify and fit , do you think the user at present has this funds available to do it , we all think not, its down to goverment providing the best for the guys fighting and this government will not do that. They are the sole ones responsible for all and they have that duty of care, but when it comes to budgets and funding ... i need say no more