PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 21:46
dostum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAF retention

Its been interesting to see this thread develop over the last few months. I think if you're waiting for a bonus, you're dreaming. I have been privvy to a very high level discussion which moved along the lines of:

"Do we really need that many QFI's in Sqn XX?"; and "There needs to be a more realistic appraisal of the actual QFI numbers we need". The clear implication was we have enough instructors.

Another priceless comment was:

"Let's see if there are any more efficiencies to be gained from the current system." Well there you go. Problem solved folks.

I am also aware that within the next couple of years Air Force will be called upon to significantly increase their pilot output. The numbers they are talking about (and it's a lot more!) are simply unachievable with current staffing levels.

The one thing I'm certain about is the system will resist with all its might in paying more money to what are perceived as 'greedy' pilots. Sadly this attitude is displayed from the top down. But there are some pilots who work a lot harder, and contribute more than others. PG quals (QFI, FCI..etc) should be recognised in monetary terms.

There are some simple measures the RAAF could take to retain people without breaking the bank. I have enjoyed the RAAF immensely, but I'm looking at getting out because my wife and I are fed up with moving. If you've ever had to up stakes with young kids you'll know what I mean.

I was a very experienced instructor on an operational type, and naively assumed the system would look after me. Well...not so, and after much futile screaming and shouting was shunted on to a most undesired location, simply because it was "time for me to career broaden."

What does not compute with the hierarchy is that most pilots do not want to be CO's or higher. If you leave us in one location, many of us will be happy to keep training the young guys coming through.