PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Crosswind takeoff
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 20:54
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite right Kit! There is this myth that a little spoiler upfloat on the ground is 'a bad thing' Nonsense! Anybody who flies Boeings know that speedbrakes below 250 kts are pretty useless. A bit of spoiler upfloat provides negligible drag.

In a strong crosswind (>20 kts), you are likely to need about 4 or more of those divisions on the control boss. This is going to give you about 25 degrees or more of aileron. Put it there at the start of the roll and leave it there until after lift off! Don't take it off when you get airborne. I constantly see people remove it when airborne- as the crosswind hits them, the into wind wing rolls up, and back it comes on, twice the deflection. Just leave it on, let the aeroplane settle as it yaws, then just fly the aeroplane wings level. A good guide is what was used on the 747 and works well for the 737- set 1 division aileron per 5kts crosswind, and leave it. Try it.

Another self imposed myth that seems to be pervading our airline now amongst the copilots is 'we must slow to 250kts maximum below 10,000'!'. I ask why? Where did that come from? The response is 'because of birds!' I have to positively say 'to hell with the birds, we're late! There is no speed limit unless you have a broken windscreen! I'm up here, and my cold beer is down there- why are you keeping me from it?'