PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landings in gusty conditions
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 20:24
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
because as I pointed out the wind is given 10m above the threshold, if you are carrying that extra speed at the tarmac or grass on a short runway you may have a problem.
There was I thinking that the approach ended at the 50ft point crossing the threshold and from that point on was the landing.

If you read most cessna and piper manuals, you will find thew following;

Steady approach to cross the threshold at 50ft, Throttle closed landing.

If you maintain your approach speed to the tarmac then you are not flying as the manufacturer intended.

What we are talking about is a safety adjustment to the airspeed to ensure an adequate margin above the stall during thre approach to the 50ft point.

I don't know about your aircraft but when I close the throttle, drag takes over and the aircraft slows (quite quickly with landing flap).

Before arguing about exact book approach speeds, one has to remember that in many cases, landing distances are only published for landing flap settings. Using zero flap with no performance figures is just as far outside the flight manual performance figures as adding 5 or 10 kt to the approach speed with landing flap.

The wind is measured at 30ft because it is clear of errors caused by surface effects in the vicinity of the annenometer and since the landing starts at 50ft, is a good indicator.

Regards,

DFC