PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast jet experience of a lifetime
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 16:11
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair point Fishtailed, I guess that a typical Joe would greatly appreciate just a lazy wander round the airfield circuit in a combat aircraft, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Certainly it would be pointless to make the experience unpleasant but it's a golden opportunity to find out what an aircraft can actually do.

This reminds me of a couple of days I spent at Scampton back in April when I was treated to four display rehearsals with the Red Arrows. On the way back from the runway after one display I was babbling to the pilot and discussing how so many people would kill to get a ride with them. As I said at the time, they're almost victims of their own professionalism as the display looks so crisp and smooth from the ground, and completely effortless. It's a great shame that everyone isn't able to see and feel things from inside the formation because it really would give a completely different perspective and earn the team even more respect and admiration. I was gobsmacked at how they could spend twenty minutes thundering round in foul weather at low level, bouncing up and down, pulling lots of g, doing a lot of grunting and swearing, and then calmly climb out of the Hawks and pose for some publicity shots with visitors, as if they'd been down to the local Tescos!