PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotary flying?
Thread: Rotary flying?
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2001, 03:40
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Having experienced both kinds (Country AND Western!) to a decent degree, my answer to the original post is this (others may have entirely different reasons for preferring one kind of flying over another):

All kinds of flying have their own special peculiarities, and you always learn from new experiences. For me, though, the essence of flying is having a responsive aircraft that I am directly guiding by my control inputs.

Helicopters fit this bill perfectly, and as was mentioned above, you do interesting and varied work with them on the whole.

Manoeuverable aerobatic fixed-wing are also great to fly, but the downer here is that there aren't too many fixed-wing jobs outside the military that require this kind of flying, so a good deal of your flying is drilling along in a straight line watching fuel and ETA trends develop. Certainly this can be interesting when things are tight, but a bit of variety is the go, I reckon.

Still, airlines are mainly where the big money is, so that's got to be a consideration for a professional pilot.