PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New London Heliport
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 13:15
AlanM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee thanks matey!!. To answer yr question with reagrd to helis at LCY

Are we sure about that? Not what I heard....
Yes I am sure I have heard nothing.....!!

I refer my honourable friend to the issue of real estate and stand availability causing enough problems there. Just yersterday there was a phone call from the tower to say that they were a stand down, poor departure slots and a need to increase inbound gaps from the normal operating procedure of 8, 5 and 5miles for subsequent planes to 8nm for everything. It is that tight at LCYmost of the time.

From our POV - helis are a piece of doddle when approaching a field - esp from due north or sue south in this case. (even the Vanguard is easy). Even if you can get past the noise issue (and surely LCY would save their brownie points with red Ken for additional and lucrative Olympic type movements) where would you put them? You would probably have to approach via the threshold, such are the CAA on such matters, thus affecting the instrument traffic.

As I said, a shame really. London really needs helicopter access.
Oh and finally, the noise at "Le Isle de chiens" is largely because aircraft transitting often hold there before going north. Also single engined helicopters do not help with reagrd to EGR160. Why not a Heli route going from Battersea - Battersea Park - Clapham to Crystal Palace area... available at 1500ft to the zone boundary then 2400ft and up and away! Singles could use it then... and no holding at London Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge etc.