PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Optus 3G for GA
Thread: Optus 3G for GA
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 10:41
Ovation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PilotHTR

I'm missing something here. The thread is about being informed and up-to-date and the best way to do it. We have Tinpis et al making nonsensical comments and so they get a spray for it. What's your problem?

Yes, you were very lucky to beat the weather into Adelaide - you must have left Jandakot either IFR (fair enough)
Fair enough indeed. I sat in my a/c at YPJT for an hour waiting for the WX to lift to personal minima. En-route the stormscope was painting behind us until well across the border. Used every bit of WX information I could find using 3G broadband before launching. Luck maybe, informed definitely (which is my point in this debate that others seem to miss). After the border the WX was CAVOK.

or illegally VFR in IMC
Sorry to spoil your negative thoughts - current CIRSE and PIFR. Log for that day says 5:55 for that flight with 2:20 IMC. Because of WX spent time at FL135 and FL155 (VFR because of limited COMMS).

That 'worried' chieftan pilot was indeed with us. Yes he was concerned - that's why he has five-figure hours and 40+ years as a professional pilot. He was concerned too because he was acting as leader to a large group of pilots, all of whom were happy to put their faith in him.
We were really worried listening to him because we could tell he was really stressed by the WX he was getting himself (and apparently others) into. I don't think I've ever heard anyone so stressed on frequency.

I recall passing a PIREP to FS for his benefit. If your bunch were VFR it would have been "interesting" to say the least.

We actually speculated we'd read more in the papers next day.

PS Sorry I missed you at Forrest (but then I don't suffer fools gladly)