PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA088 Mayday
Thread: BA088 Mayday
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 07:02
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

The rules for fuel are as follows:

Crews should plan to arrive overhead a destination aerodrome with, at the very least, fuel sufficient to:
A) Make an approach to land; and
B) Carry out a missed approach; and
C) Fly to an alternate aerodrome, carry out an approach and landing; and
D) For turbo-jet powered aircraft, fuel to hold for 30 minutes at 1,500ft above the aerodrome.
Additionally to this in the London TMA the phrase, "Expect no delay" actually means that 20 minutes of holding must be assumed and allowed for in fuel planning.

See: CAA AIC 82/2003 (Pink 92)
and: CAA FODCOM 11/2003 - Aircraft inbound to UK with fuel approaching minimum.

I'm not sure what's produced on BA's flight plans (this document is also known as the 'PLOG') but it's often the case that PLOGS make no allowance for "Expect no Delay" (at least the PLOGS at my company make no allowance and it's down to the commander to cater for this).

Therein, if one is held low across Africa (which has happened to me many times!), and / or one's maybe a tadge heavier than the predicted weight that the PLOG was based on, and / or that the headwind component is perhaps a bit more than anticipated... then these can very quickly eat in to ones 'Contingency' fuel (wherein Contingency fuel is usually 3% to 5% of the 'Trip' fuel and is intended to cater for a certain degree of unforeseen circumstances, as mentioned).

One will then arrive in the London TMA close to, or at, ones 'Company Minimum Reserve' / CMR (i.e. with enough fuel to make an approach, followed by a 'missed approach' and then diversion to your nominated alternate airport, be able to hold overhead your alternate for 30 minutes at 1,500ft, and carry out an approach and landing).
Nb. The fuel required to hold for 30 minutes @ 1,500ft is usually known as the 'Final Reserve' fuel.

In the UK there is no such thing as a 'Fuel Emergency'.

The percieved wisdom is that:

If a commander thinks he might land below 'Final Reserve' he should declare a "Pan".

If the commander knows he will land with less than 'Final Reserve' he must declare a "Mayday".

It sounds to me that the BA guys did it buy the book.