PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Optus 3G for GA
Thread: Optus 3G for GA
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 06:02
Ovation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by Pilot HTR

I simply don't think the telephone technology is robust or widespread enough the rely on.......and that's what you seem to be wanting to do Ovation.
You're speculating about my motivation - I want to use every WX tool I can before I leave home, and during flight. I've been misled by AF's, TAF's and AERIS's, and had the sh!t frightened out of me as a result. I am extra cautious about WX and yes, I use the MK1 eyeball in flight which has range limitations and is useless in cloud (unless it gets dark suddenly).

BTW, I flew Jandakot to Adelaide the Monday after the 2006 Red Bull Race (non-stop in piston single) and was ahead of a Chieftan that diverted to Forrest or Esperance. I was fortunate (planned to) to be ahead of the weather, but the pilot of the Chieftan sounded seriously worried about the weather ahead and you could hear it in his voice. Was he with your lot?

As for technology, if you can get updates en-route it's way ahead of being fat, dumb and happy. To get the most up-to-date TAF and Area Forecasts between Charleville and Mackay is in conflict with your view of the reliability of such technology. By the time you're in range of the AERIS you're almost there.

BUT...........none of the info I got altered ANY of our decisions. We amended and made plans based on what we could see or on traditional forecasts. I thinks it's called airmanship and also has something to do with compliance with regulations.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to say visiting BOM or "non-airservices" sites is not good airmanship? Is a traditional Air Services forecast hours before departure superior to one obtained 3 or so hours later while airborne?

Is a 3G broadband AF or TAF non-compliant with regulations? If you were alerted to something scary on 3G would you ignore it in favour of a forecast 3-4 hours old?

Unless you ring the MET guys and transcribe it, all of your WX information will be delivered to you in some electronic format, so explain to me the difference between Broadband on a landline at home or office, and Broadband delivered via 3G.

Would this site fill in any dots if there was any doubt?

http://www.gpats.com.au/php/cust-cgi/LIAS_free_15m.php

Tin and all the others here have probably flown more hours that you ever will,
What makes you say this?

and do not warrant being attacked. Tech can be good, but commonsense and caution is better..
At the risk of repeating myself, Tinpis and his alter ego's have made no useful contribution to an interesting and relevant topic, and a technology that will find it's way into more GA cockpits as time goes by.

Read Tinpis's last absurd post (or any for that matter) and convince me andthe others viewing he's professional and/or experienced. He's only trying to "wind-up" the debate which is equally as stupid and doesn't belong here.