PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Optus 3G for GA
Thread: Optus 3G for GA
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 03:23
PilotHTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this thread.
At risk of answering the question.....
I experimented with a Next-G enabled smartphone about this time last year coming back from Perth (To Melb). We flew VFR (although IFR rated and equipped) for the simple pleasure of it and the fact that others travelling with us were not IFR capable. Note that one of these was a (the?) leading well-known aerobatic display pilot.
I used my 'phone (where a signal existed - about 21% OF THE TIME) to get radar images and TAF/TTF enroute. Fun where we could get it, and interesting.
BUT...........none of the info I got altered ANY of our decisions. We amended and made plans based on what we could see or on traditional forecasts. I thinks it's called airmanship and also has something to do with compliance with regulations.
Perhaps the greatest example occurred at Forrest, where no internet services were available (airborne) to show us the storms to the east. But all the 36 pilots who shared that evening will testify to the wall of black plainly visible to the east. Great night it was too!!!
I must admit we had a chieftan with us that had Wx radar, and across those expanses it did give some amount of help. You might note that at one point the BOM radar into Adelaide indicated a few light showers, whilst out our windscreen we could see the 3 dirty great cells that were trying to eat us. They also painted some lovely red/black pictures in the Chieftan's radar. So I wouldn't bet the farm on the reliability or currency of the BOM online services.
I have not used it since (indeed, I junked the smartphone for something sleeker and less temperamental).
I simply don't think the telephone technology is robust or widespread enough the rely on.......and that's what you seem to be wanting to do Ovation.
Tin and all the others here have probably flown more hours that you ever will, and do not warrant being attacked. Tech can be good, but commonsense and caution is better..
Cheers