PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex recruiting..or lack of
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 22:05
Cactus Jak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's be realistic here people.

There is a pilot shortage, but that doesn't mean that every pilot that walks through the door for an interview is gunna get the job. To think that would be just plain naive.

The company i work for is currently recruiting. Are they are finding it hard to get the pilots? YES. Did that stop them failing applicants in their sim check because they could NOT demonstrate the simple I/F techniques and handling skills required? NO!!!

It's not only Rex that is hurting here. A lot of companies are being cripled by this shortage. Losing contracts, no coverage for some bases. Look at the RFDS in W.A. for example. Some of the time, it has been suggested to me that there is only one aircraft and one pilot for the whole state.

If they can get the pilots, they are then faced with extended training periods for these new hires (6-8 months of line training) to get them up to speed. That ties up training pilots and runs existing line pilots to there limits (both legally and physically) because the guys these newbies are replacing are long gone to the jobs they left for. Thus the massive holes in rostering.

And don't think pay rises will fix the problem because as long as the likes of Jetstar,Virgin, Tiger, QANTAS and the likes, are recruiting onto their BIG JETS with the matching pay packets, the flow will continue.

This is becoming a big problem.

NUFF said