PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New London Heliport
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 21:34
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although SIMNLLOYD’s particular idea strikes me as a non-starter, I think it’s ludicrous that London, as a major international city, doesn’t have a helipad near the City.

Unfortunately, the noise of those who object to something ususally carries an inordinate amount of weight – because the majority hold no strong views either way and are simply the silent majority. Combine that with the policies (and personality) of the current Mayor of London and it seems highly unlikely we’ll see a heliport in the foreseeable future.

IMHO, as someone who’s lived near the River (in Putney, Fulham and Chelsea) for 29 years, and worked immediately adjacent to it for 33 years (Temple, until a couple of weeks ago), claims/complaints about helicopter noise in London are grossly exaggerated. My local authority (Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) has, for some reason, taken up the fight against the 'problem' of helicopter noise. There is no justification for such a stance; there isn't a problem. They claim helicopter noise along the River is a problem. Utter nonsense. It’s impossible to hear helicopters along the River from most parts of the Borough and, where it can be heard, it’s not intrusive except in the immediate vicinity of the River.

Is there a problem with the noise of mil helicopters over London?
If there is, I haven't noticed.
I live half a mile away from Chelsea Barracks and the sound of Chinooks and other heavy helicopters going in and out isn’t to everyone’s taste, but it’s so rare that it can't reasonably be described as a problem and, as the Barracks has been sold, any perceived ‘problem’ will come to an end permanently.

As for noise near the City airport, I’ve got no sympathy with people who choose to live near an airport and then complain about noise - or who object to expansion and/or an increase in movements. If noise is an issue, don't live near an airport.

IMHO, people who regard peace and quiet as a priority should live in the countryside (or at least in the suburbs), not in a big city.
That said, many of them would probably be the sort who buy weekend cottages in the country and then complain about church bells on a Sunday morning.