PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town SAA A346
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 13:14
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judge not lest ye be judged yourself....

Having said that, I know what would have happened to me, had I done something like this whilst working for my present boss. I'm quite sure I'd have been fired pretty quickly. All this, whilst earning minimum wage too!

Yeah, sure, an A346 is a challenge to operate. THATS WHY THOSE BOYS AND GIRLS EARN THE BIG BUCKS. You don't seriously think you can just come to work and collect money for showing up, having earned enough seniority to get high enough in the queue to pole one of those? Nope, they have to deliver. And in this case, they didn't. You can cry ACSA, taxi lines, whatever (all are no doubt contributing factors, sure). But at the end of the day, this incident occured at taxi speed, in day, VMC, on a dry runway. In other words, the crew had the choice of continuing or not - and if they couldn't stop, then they were going too fast for the situation.

What I say here, I would expect to be said of me had I done the same thing. As pilots, we are held to a high standard, and that's how it is. Barring mechanical failure of some kind, they drove themselves into this mess, nobody else. It serves as a reminder of the constant vigilance required from all of us. Operating in Africa just makes the requirements all the higher.

Again, I merely mention how I would expect to be judged after doing what has apparently happened here.