PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lord Drayson Steps Down
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 12:11
Not_a_boffin

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts
I'm on record as not being much of a fan of his and I'm afraid this only confirms my view. If he wants to fulfill a life-long ambition of racing at Le Mans, then fair play to him.

BUT don't expect thanks or plaudits for :

1. "Re-organising" DPA and DLO into DE&S and then b8ggering off without actually making it work - far less being accountable for a 25% reduction in staff to service a procurement / acquisition process that is clearly still FUBAR.

2. Making a big song and dance about having sorted out major equipment programmes - FSTA, JCA, helicopters (and yes CVF), without having actually agreed production contracts for any of them!

3. Trumpeting a Defence Industrial Strategy which is at best sketchy in the details of how it is to work and at worst capitulation to Big And Expensive Systems.

He appears to have replicated a consultancy role as a minister in which lots of "bright" ideas are proposed, but never successfully implemented. Meanwhile, the wheels wobble ever closer to the end of the axles.......

And lord knows what the new one will be like now real hard decisions will be required soon!