PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex recruiting..or lack of
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 12:04
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
The point is, there is no shortage of applicants for jobs like REX.

Their problem is that, having attracted people, they then can't retain them, and can't train fast enough to cover attrition.

Their Cadet scheme isn't about getting enough qualified people-it's about KEEPING them, without having to pay what's neccessary to stop pilots leaving.

I was working for easyJet in the UK when they tried the same thing. They put guys through from Ab-Initio to RHS on 737s and A319s.

In return they guarenteed to pay the loan these guys accumulated (circa 80 000 POUND STERLING!!!) as long as they stayed with EZ on a reduced salary.

Presto! Pilots who would be guarenteed to stay for al least 7 years. Projections were made, tickets sold and aircraft ordered on that basis.

One problem- they had employed young, enthusistic, intelligent people, who could add up. It quickley became obvious to the cadets that they would be better off financially, even having to take the loan on board, if they went to BA or Virgin Atlantic.

Result? In the first year MORE THAN HALF the cadets left, and canceled and sub-chartered flights that summer cost in the vicinity or 75 000 000STG.

There was then a change of CEO- Substantial pay rise, improved roster, beter pension and staff travel scheme. Within 12 months EZ had the best retention rate in the sector, and I was seriously P@@@@D off as I had left, and share options I assumed would be worthless as they were triggered by what I assumed were unachievable profit margins would have been payed in full (About 75K STG!!!), as the company achieved record profits.

Paying staff properly is an INVESTMENT.

But that wouldn't work in Australia-just ask Aircraft