PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light single into Gatwick?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 10:37
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done mate!

Sorry to go off thread, briefly, but this reminds me of my first flight into Glasgow Prestwick as a 65 hour PPLer. We had flown up to Scotland from down south, Stapleford, ref-fueling at Gamston, and chose Prestwick for convenience. It has the feel of a big airport with 2 long runways and lots of Ryanair and 747 Freight traffic.

Left base for 31 in a C182 flying VFR and following ATC instructions explicitly, it went something like this:

Tower: "G-xxx, confirm visual 737 long final, keep it tight and report turning final"

Me: (seriously worried) "Negative on the 737, looking, will report turning final"

Me: "G-xxx final 31"

Tower: (after a 20 sec pause) a frustrated, "G-xxx, this isn't going to work, go around, right side of runway, maintain altitude and heading upwind until I call you"

Me: "Wilco, maintain upwind until you call"

I guess he hadn't realised that I was a low-hour PPL in an aircraft which I was told to land at 75kts (and I bl**dy well listen to my instructors!) and would not come in at 140ks like the 737!

We then proceeded upwind and watched a Ryanair 737 land pretty much alongside us on 31, flew out to sea at about 800ft and started to get a bit worried as the Isle of Arran loomed ahead, but finally:

Tower: "G-xxx, turn crosswind"

I acknowledged and did so. A little later, after a long silence from ATC came the sarcastic:

Tower: "G-xxx, Are you going to turn downwind any time soon?"

Me: (an equally sarcastic, but giggly) "I was waiting for your instructions! Turning downwind now"

We then proceeded to land happily on 31 and flew out of Prestwick for a week, having hilarious exchanges with that particular controller (who clearly hated GA). Memorable last exchange with him:

"G-xxx, have you GOT an airfield plan!?"

Oh, those were the days!