PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any offshore pilots ever made the switch to mountainrescue?
Old 7th Nov 2007, 08:05
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi CopterD

It is normally difficult to get hired on by Rega. It would normally take a definite effort and several years directed employment (aimed at their req's) to position yourself for something like Rega...And if there's a local similarly qualified, Well!

You need at least fluent German or French depending on location, (Maybe you already have them?)...and a basic strong working knowledge of at least one of the other 2 major languages...You can get by out of Ticino without Italian, and Rumantsch is not widely spoken out of their region...But Fr/Ge are needed.

Ok, all Swiss are not truly fluent in all the languages but it could be one of the potential doors that bars the way unless you speak them fluently.

A common misconception is that English is the international language of aviation. And that's basically true in FW aviation. But for us unfortunately it's not that simple!...

Speaking English with a street cop/ fireman/ etc on the radio in many European countries is like speaking fluent Swahili. Interesting but not practical...

In fact foreign language capability could in many cases be the deciding factor on future employability (Global Economy) after the current employment boom subsides...

Also....As in many other places. Advertisements often meet legal requirements and that's often the only function. I know several Fre/Ger/Swi/Ita pilots who have been waiting years for the job. Which is not well paid when you consider the cost of living...But a lifestyle choice.

I'm out of touch with Rega now, and not saying this is the case at the moment. But it used to be common for Adverts to appear to meet legal requirements.

If you really want to do it?.... SAR that is (not Rega)...Email me and I might be able to help if you have the hours needed. But if you are still building hours, you might want to stay where you are. As some SAR bases are relatively busy, but many are 100 to 300 hours a year average operational hours, and split between the various shifts. It's not going to help you hit the high numbers anytime soon...

I'm not saying not to apply to Rega. At the very least you could start a record of interest. And who knows. Something in your background might work (Maybe you're Swiss?) Maybe you know the name of every bump in the Alps ;-))...Just don't get too excited about the chance of success on the first go round...

Good luck whichever way you go!

170'