PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on leaving CX
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 05:51
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a bit like a suicide attempt......
a cry for help...........with no serious intention to follow through.........
Laughable or what?? who would I hand a resignation letter to ???
Get real.................
Actually, in most other airlines, I would think this was a wind up. But you must keep in mind that Cathay has a lot of guys that have never worked for other airlines, or have come here with zero flight time. So go easy on the guy, that might be the case and he is just trying to get some good advise

I've handed in a few resignations in my time, so I'll give you the best advise I can give. Make sure that your resignation letter smells like bull****t. What I mean is; THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR YOU TO BURN BRIDGES!!! Seriously, don't kiss ass so much that who ever reads it will know it, but really make it professional and appreciative of the opportunity that Cathay has given you, and how you have made so many friends here in CX that you will miss them very much...yadi yadi yada.

Regardless of what people tell you, I've seen guys come back. Not just here in CX, but in other places I've also worked. And the only reason they were able to come back is that they had a clean record before they left, and I can guarantee you that they had a professional and stinky letter of resignation in their file. And the best way to do this is to inform your boss (Chief pilot) in person. You can then hand in the letter and make it official. And I always try to give a little more notice than the minimum, although sometimes you have to leave as asoon as possible. But I strongly advice you against busting the minimum 1 month notice that Cathay requires. That will definetely put you in the ****t-pile and you can consider this bridge blown to bits and unpassable.

If there is one thing I know for sure is that aviation is a small business, so you don't want to piss-off too many people. You're favorite person to piss-off in one place might be your I-have-the-power-to-fire-you boss at another place.

Best of luck on your new endevours.