PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Down on Melbourne Beach
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 01:08
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

interesting thread!!

Some of the listers mentioned as a recovery, to lower the collective, adjust the pedals and push forward.

It is amazing that even some old hands still use airplane technique to recover from low rpm (low speed in the plank).

If you push forward with low rpm you make it way harder to recover rpm.

FIRST get your rpm back, which in this case would be collective full down (even if you freeze the throttle this would get you into an auto)
when you got your rpm green again, then and ONLY THEN start to look for forward speed.

Saw the same mistake at a factory transition training session (AS350) with a very experienced jokey. He could not explain the principles of autoration, rpm control and speed control.
It was a big surprise to him that he lived all his live with "Get forward speed immediatly". Listening to some "experiences" he had over his career, confirmed his believe. Lucky he got away with this for some 15K+ hrs.

Wouldn't blame the girl on this, shame she quit.
As mentioned she seemed in over her head.
But praise the R-44 for their survival, had this happened in a Ranger with real LTE, the would be gone...

LTE does not exist on a properly rigged R-44 (It was mentioned that the bird was nearly new, so there should be no reason for incorrect rigging...)

You may run out of pedal, but the TR NEVER looses effectivness.

When on a certain photoshot I almost everytime had to hold with a 1/4ing left tailwind (the worst direction on the R-44) and the helo starts to really get itchy on the pedals to hold steady, but it will never let go.

I saw this demonstrated by a factory guy:

70% rpm, 1/2 fuel, 2 ft hover, 2 persons on board, less than 5 kts wind, hard surface, doing a slow pedal turn to both sides.

Try that in a 206, or anything else for that matter.

Saw the same demo at about 75 to 78% rpm in the R-22....

I even doubt VRS in the case discussed, decent rate was not fast enough for a full VRS.

Guess I would call it "uncontrolled paniced decent in own downwash!"

Hey **** happens ( sorry.....)

Someone pinch her somewhere and get her back into the cockpit!!

No need to quit, I ran into worse BS and it (nearly) always was my own fault!

3top