View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2007, 22:53
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For UK ATC, we need to pause a moment and reread what has been said:
Gonzo said:
Not sure where it's written down for you guys, but in our Heathrow Manual of Air Traffic Services it's in black and white that we can expect you to do the MAP for the original runway, hence we should promptly take corrective action
......implies that ATC may expect the plane to fly the MAP for the original runway- taken by many to mean that is what you should do.
Please reread MATS pt.2. as posted by Gonzo:
Section 1 (3.3)
3.3.2 VISUAL CHANGES OF LANDING RUNWAY
Controllers must be aware that any aircraft that is instructed to visually switch to an alternate runway, in the event of a missed approach, may expect to follow the instrument missed approach procedure for the original runway. Obviously this is not appropriate, therefore, if the aircraft is subsequently instructed to execute a missed approach, the procedure used must be included in the instruction.ad the quoted MATS pt 2 when the reference was found:
This is a warning to controllers that 'watch out- pilots in the event of a GA on a swingover approach may think they have to follow the original runway GA'! and 'Obviously this is not appropriate'.

It does not mean at all that pilots should follow the original GA as was implied by several posters- it is simply that the controller should be aware that pilots may do that! Therefore the controller should issue instructions to make it clear what to do.

Nowadays, pilots will reload the new runway into the FMs, giving the go-around procedure automatically, including tracking, as well as, if time, retuning the ILS. The thought process is 'quick, get the new runway in so the GA is set!' (I've been there several times). So despite getting a considerable amount of stick, I do not think I was incorrect in my assertion (at LHR at least), that it is impractical and unsafe, and not expected either, to fly the original GA. However, for reasons pointed out, many airlines have strict stabilised approach criteria, and those pilots know for a minor fuel or time saving, it is not worth the hassle of inviting follow up phone calls as to what the hell you were doing!

Last edited by Rainboe; 6th Nov 2007 at 23:06.