PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "MERLIN"
Thread: "MERLIN"
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2002, 15:07
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Fobotsco,

I'm sorry, but you're being paranoid again. Had Spicy been asking about operational deployments by Merlin, the capabilities or technical features of Nemesis, or about any UORs incorporated for Veritas (an example that's probably inappropriate for this type), then yes, it would be entirely appropriate to raise concerns about security. Similarly, it's probably wise to be careful when talking about tactics, whereas doctrine may be more readily discussed. Surely we should differentiate between legitimate military security (which should be tight, in case you misunderstand) and what is merely politically embarrassing (which the public may have a right to know about)?

I'm glad we're talking about RAF Merlin, 'cos it strikes me that it's largely a programme to be proud of, although there are legitimate questions to ask, as has been intimated elsehwere on the thread.

Look again at Spicy's qs. . ."Does it really have a role or are we creating one for it?" (He's not asking anyone to give details about the role performance, for pity's sake, but raises an issue of procurement/doctrine policy. I think it's great that someone who has volunteered for the aircraft is interested, and think that his motives in asking the question are clear - interest and keenness).

and

"Is it the battle field helo we want? Once again are we having hardware forced on us by the politico's?"

If the aircraft is the wrong one for the job, and if it was entirely politically selected, then that would reflect badly on HMG, and could, I suppose, 'comfort an enemy', though IMHO that's a flimsy excuse for a 'cover up'.

It would seem to me that an element of politicking did go into the Merlin buy (didn't they go for a split Merlin/Chinook 3 buy?) and that Merlin was more expensive than the RAF's favoured option. I often think that where trade/industry considerations affect an order, then some of the cash (the extra) should be charged to that ministry, and not the MoD. Let MoD pay the defence part of the price, and let someone else pay the industrial subsidy!

There's perhaps also a question over the cost of adding AAR capability when we have nothing to refuel the damned things from, and won't have for another ten years or more!

But the bottom line seems to be that it will be a useful type, and is already showing some promise. I'm particularly amused that you think that the evil ones in the press don't actually yet know about Merlin......

And to Spicy, I hope that your new posting at Benson is a happy one, and that you enjoy the lovely country pubs of rural south Oxfordshire, or Berkshire, or Buckinghamshire, since Benson must straddle all three!