PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sign up here to fly from/into/at LEE
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2007, 21:33
BobH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lee-on-Solent

Of course I'd visit LoS if the Constabulary let me!
Why they're operating airfields instead of nicking villains defeats me - must be down to the owners failing to appoint a proper aviation outfit to do this.
Considering the owners are public bodies, it's even more disgusting the public will not have access to a fine airfield. Surely there is a market for a GA airfield serving a place as big as the Southampton/Portsmouth conurbation? (Eastleigh doesn't count any more, on cost and ATC grounds).
The lack of ATC at LoS must be only a pretext for closure; plenty of aviation happens in the world outside with no ATC at all, under VFR, using the proper procedures, Safetycom, and good airmanship. Agreed local procedures cope with a mix of traffic types very well at plenty of other aerodromes.
An AFISO or even Air/ground radio would be a bonus, and give most of the 'benefits' of full ATC at less expense.
If it's not the eco-lobby, it's the council; if not avaricious property developers, it's the CAA; now even our protectors are out to Cancel All Aviation . . .