PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-17. Is it really that good?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2001, 10:56
Chinese Vic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, thanks Fine Pitch for turning a couple of fairly tongue-in-cheeck but fair comments into personal abuse, but hey, if that's your bag...
I think you'll find my comments on the C17 are well founded, and that some small comforts for those of us that spend a lot of time down the back make a real difference. (and if you read my original post again, you'll find I was complimenting the C-17, not whinging about the C-130)
I did not comment on the tactical excellence of the C-130, but have flown around at 150' in one at Nellis on more than one occasion and was hugely impressed by both the airframe and the crews' abilities to operate in that environment. However, to pick up on BEagle's point - it doesn't exactly make a lot of sense to use a tactical intra-theatre asset as long-haul/strat AT, does it?

You obviously took my comments as a direct attack on the C-130 - which they are not, no matter how you read them. I have flown many times in each aircraft type of the RAF's current AT fleet and frankly, find your attitude at odds with many of your compatriots who are usually pretty friendly with the Pax. I also don't know what your beef is with the OS Branch, but you'll find some of us have opinions about flying that might actually be valid, for all that we might not wear a brevet! In fact, there are some that do...

For your information, I am now back in the desert having spent 10hrs down the back in a C-130J which had an excellent cockpit but was pretty uncomfortable in the hold due to the vibration. But at least it was faster than a K model!

CV