PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2007, 16:13
zigsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
training options; cape town?

Hi Pandalet,
Bravo suggested i contact you with regards to PPL heli training in South Africa. I've looked into various schools in the cape Town area and would appreciate any feedback you could give me. In particular do you know anything about base4aviation?

The options i have to complete my training are as follows (if your eyes glaze over please accept my apologies and hit delete immediately ) :

1) Do my entire training in a R22 here in London. I passed my final PPL (H) theory exam in May 2006 so i believe i have until May 2008 to pass the skills test. The downside of flying here from what i've read is that it's difficult to accumulate hours (at least 45 required) given the bad weather we have over the winter and early Spring period. This coupled with the extra cost makes it my least desirable option. (My current choice of school here is heliair based in Denham).

2) I have 30 hours logged in a R44 in malaysia (last logged hours in March 2006). I could continue training In Kuala Lumpur and would probably need at least another 35 hours before im proficient enough to take the skills test. I need only take 2 exams to gain my Malaysian PPL (H). The risk i run here is that if i'm unable to pass my skills test within 35 hours then flying in a R22 in South Africa from scratch would have been more cost effective. Also upon my return to convert licenses i would have to take my skils test in a R44 which is £££

3) Go to South Africa and train from scratch on a R22. I would need 50 hours training and would have to take 5 theory exams. I could also do a R44 crossover course. If i wanted to convert this license to UK would i have to take the UK skills tests in a R22 and then get validation for my R44 type rating? Finally assuming i take this option and looking ahead are there any South African instructors in the UK who can do SA PPL (H) renewals and medicals?

Best regards