PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK in Canada
Thread: EK in Canada
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2007, 14:54
kingoftheslipstream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oblaaspoop...
Well, you just seem abit ornery and wanna invite contention now dontcha?
For anyone who's readin' this, 27,000 AED/month is about right. I just talked to a 4 year Canuck FO who has a coupla kids in school here in DXB:
Basic: 23465
Telly allowance 100
ERP 1759
Flying pay (76 hrs) 2660 (35.0 AED/hr)
Productivity pay, 8 hrs o'time 2600 (325.0 AED/hr)
Total Gross Pay 30584 AED = $7842 CAD
Deduct fo car loan (EK) 1145
EPC 100
Provident fund 1173
Phone bill 110
Medical 226
School fees (2 kids) 3000
sundry medical charge 100
After EK Deductions 24730 AED = $6341 CAD
Car loan from bank 1822 (this supplements the EK loan)
Mortgage on property @home 4290 AED = $1100 CAD
Net income for this family: 18618 AED = $4774 CAD
Groceries 5000 AED
Car insurance 450 AED (car is now nearly 4 yrs old)
Petrol 400 AED
ALT budget, cause EK don't
fly them all the way home 475 AED
Car rental budget for leave 230 AED
Annual leave expense 2000 AED
Net disposable income 10063 AED = $2580 CAD
Now, this guy is saving for university for his kids, there are sundry expenses for stuff like a meal out at a restaurant once per week, presents, school trips, movies, CDs, musical supplies and instruments, school supplies, clothing for the family, domestic help (housekeeper 2 days per week, not a live-in) and he sends a bit home to his folks every month as they are elderly.
It ain't all that much when you look at it closely - if you spend more than your allowances on the road, as I frequently do, then you're dippin' in to family finances and that detracts... I didn't ask him if he had Satellite TV, or mobile phones for the family (I can see that addin' up to about 400 AED monthly without even tryin'). Come ta think of it, he didn't mention his internet connection costs or computer costs - all self financed here, no help from the mother ship...
Now, fellow Canucks who might be readin' this... take some of this into consideration. I could dig for more I guess but I hope you get the picture. It ain't all roses and sunshine over here, and if you have expensive hobbies (motorcycles, fast cars and stuff like me...) well, you're just about **** out of luck.
Oldblaastapoop is more 'n a bit optimistic with the numbers he's shootin' around. I don't know where the hell 42000 AED comes from - that's a **** load a overtime as pointed out by previous contributor, impossible in fact though like many a bloke from 'ol blighty he has a good imagination I guess. I like Brits, and I like the Monarch, Queen in Right of Canada an all that but don't ferget: If the Queen had balls, she'd be KING!
Happy contrails camerados
k-o-t-s