PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Hand Baggage
Thread: UK Hand Baggage
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2007, 14:29
northeast canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow

I recently had the pleasure of transiting through LHR - I came off of an international flight which arrived at Terminal 4, then had to transfer to Terminal 1 for my domestic connection, where I was greeted with a huge queue to go through security! This is ridiculous and totally unnecessary. I am transiting from a secure area airside, to another secure area airside without having left the secure area! So why on Earth should I need to clear security again? And to top it all off, they implement all the stupid rules so people who had bought duty free (wine etc) abroad were having to give it up because it was in excess of 100ml! Two carry on bags is acceptable when boarding your international flight but when you have to connect through LHR you now have a problem because you have one bag too many and no way of putting it in your hold baggage, which is in transit.

There were many, many angry people in the queue, many of whom were not even destined for Britain! I would imagine that it is like this every day, day in, day out. The security staff were horrible. Then after passing through this mess, I then transited passport control where the official hardly even looked at me, swiped my passport and didn't even say a single word. Now maybe I am wrong here, but to me this is where the government should be putting in the resources and is where they will be catching "rogue elements", and not worrying about how much toothpaste I am carrying.

Needless to say many people will avoid transiting Heathrow in future. We do have many other options.

Heathrow is a national disgrace.