PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thompson Engine Failure in ALC 23/10
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 23:45
leeleal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,
As an atc working in Alicante, I would like to point a few things out. Although I work in the twr and the event was first reported when airborne on app frequency, we followed closely the situation and coordinated tightly until the plane was transfered back on final.
The PAN PAN call is perfectly recognised in Spain, although it is considered as a request for priority (normally for medical reasons, short of fuel or any other situation that implies a safe flight but with a real need of a hurry). Thus if that was the call the crew made, thatīs what they were given: priority. The aircraft never declared emergency and thatīs why the service given once landed seemed to be deficient. It takes a while to move any special airport resources if there is no clear emergency call from the tower, aircraft or any other recognised source. Believe me, the ATC thought it was a simple engine failure with barely any risk (at least thatīs what the serene captianīs voice suggested) until the fire crew reported how they found the engine.
However, I do not want you to think Iīm blaming the crew. I positively believe they did a really great job and that they wouldnīt have hesitated to request any other help they thougt necessary. Iīm just trying to explain how things worked out. Since I really think I learn a lot from reading all your posts on what really happened, I thought some of you would like to know how it all went from the other side.
By the way, of course I know there is still plenty of room for improvement in our airport (as in many other places), but I firmly believe we are doing a good job.

Hasta luego.