PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sign up here to fly from/into/at LEE
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 22:35
valenii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lee on Solent

There really should be no debate about this at all. This area of the country desperately needs a good GA airport, and aircraft movement capacity is growing, and needs runways and facilities like Lee.

Think of Cannes on the south of France - the runway at Lee is probably bigger! The authorities should be looking for ways to utilise this fantastic resource to the good of the local economy, making it possible to be used for all sorts of air operations.

Personally I have flown into Lee many times, I live and fly from the London airports, but visit as I have family that live on the airfield perimeter. All the locals love the airfield that gives character to the whole sea front just like in Cannes...

If it was more friendly and open to GA - it could become a very desirable destination for private pilots and beyond.

The "hostile" nature of the way it has been administered over previous years has kept non-locals away from the field, but still aviation thrives there! Imagine what a success story to the local tourist industry, retirement property valuations (much easier to fly than drive, many well off people could retire there with their aircraft). The airfield also has huge potential to attract local aviation related businesses.

Opening up LoS to flying in the same way as Shoreham or Lydd is not only necessary, but should be a "no-brainer".