PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BFBS
Thread: BFBS
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2001, 14:57
neilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I am from the said bunch I will pipe up.
BFBS did broadcast in Catterick, Tidworth and had plans to broadcast in Aldershot And colchester and one or two other Raf and Navy places but The Army gave UK broadcasting to another commercial operation which leaves the station in NI as the only UK station. you can hear it on line via <a href="http://www.bfbs.com" target="_blank">www.bfbs.com</a> where there is live audio streaming, you can also put shouts out to those less fortunate and unable to dodge Xmas overseas with Razzle.
We are wholly funded by the MOD so unfortunatly you get what the Mod pays, in the gulf BFBS were on log wave right from the commencement of jiggery pokery over there but the issue of frequencies and local sensitivities to western culture make it very difficult to negotiate in all places and logistically it is akin sometimes to setting up radio One's broadcast coverage in a fortnight.
Remember also that sat in Thatchers folly and Tito's revenge right now are some bloody good broadcasters doing a lot with not a lot and living and working alongside the audience which has to be the best in the world, and they aren't doing it to get rich!.
I come from the other side so can really appreciate all the effort put in by the whole of SSVC inluding CSE to provide a service the US armed forces would love to have, support us as we support you