PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex and the Media Release
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 12:21
Dogslay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I am about to be shot down, but here goes.

What is the difference betwen a Qantas cadet and a Rex cadet? They also land in the right seat of a Qantas regional partner eg. Air North. Nobody condems that system.

I work for a major carrier in Japan that has for the last approx 20 years placed 200hr cadets in the right seat of a B767. All the airline has done is install checks and balances as to when a co-pilot with limited experience can fly, eg not more than half max x-wind limit for landing and T/off. They stipulate a max T/off weight for co-pilots, etc. These pilots are operating in much more congested airspace, inhospitable terrain and weather conditions than any cadet will ever experience in Australia. (They also don't have English as a first language).

Why in Australia is no one allowed an 'easy ride', if you don't slog it out the hard way you can't possibly be good at your job!!! I think we should be thankful that aviation has reached a point that places like Rex have now realised that they too must contribute inorder to reap.