PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilverJet
Thread: SilverJet
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 09:15
Silver Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

IanJ,

Thanks for your post and in response.....

“Yawnnn! Silver Boy you are of course allowed to make your opinion, its a shame that myself and Beston Board agree with each other and are both up to date with the company and its current 'goings on'.”

So I am allowed my own opinion – that will be a first within Silverjet! As for being up to date with goings on – I can only imagine that you mean that PR and spin machine that exists as opposed to flying, as virtually every factual statement you have made to date has been corrected by myself or others on the post.

“If you are looking for a bit of "drama" I suggest not knocking the current airline that you work for and pay your wages each month..... To everyone else my last, final comment on the above is apply to Silverjet it really is a great company to work for. If whether the beds are actually flat, which they are, is a reason for not joining Silverjet then maybe you want to apply to another airline??”

That sounds like a threat, and very defensive about the sloping beds, you have confirmed you are management!

Bestonboard,

“Silver boy, If you are having concerns about management, and the waning attitudes of crew, and are considering leaving if things are continuing the way you perceive them, then why brand yourself Silver?"

The name Silver should be obvious to you. Your question says it all, ‘if you don’t subscribe to everything I say, correct or not, then go away!

“Your attention to detail is exemplary, my main response regarding defamatory comments etc etc was in response to the persona non grata who is no longer allowed to post on here.”

Thank you, it was mainly placed to correct IanJ inaccuracies in response to requests from interested people who would have mistakenly thought that 4 trips a month was the norm.

“Attitudes are contagious, and starting a war has never been or will be my intention. I would rather negativity from a crew standpoint be nipped in the bud, and for any prospective joiners to our family to be able to make their own mind up without being scared away without even taking a peak.”

You have confirmed that you are definitely management from that paragraph! If you really believe in what you are saying then take the points I raised in my last post. Your crews can roughly be divided into two types, those who love it and those who hate it, the later mainly because of the culture within the airline of back stabbing, aspiration, poor management supervision and ongoing training. Those that have been brave enough to speak up have been told to put up and shut up, the rest just leave.

“Customers are our main priority, without them we would not exist. However, a crews welfare, it's happiness and it's motivation is also key. An airline cannot operate without a crew...”

You have hit the nail on the head and that statement says it all if you read into what you have just said: 'Crew are a necessity, if we keep them happy they will turn up, but customers are everything – wrong!'
First rule of sales management – anyone can get people through the door, it’s keeping them and having them spend over and over again that matters.
We (you and many crew members who think like me), share common ground here. As stated before the concept of Silverjet is a wonderful thing – no argument. However the way the team is being run beggars belief and is indicative of poor management practices right from the top in terms of attitudes to crew. If this were changed the company’s future would be so much better. I am not after holidays down the line, and expect to work for a living.

“One more question... regarding minimum rest, and travelling east to west on back to backs??? I take it you are fully versed in CAP371 and are fully aware of FTL and duties that you can perform by law. If there is any doubt, speak to the flight deck on your next duty... They will gladly fill you in...”

Would be nice to have a copy or exceprt from this as it's not in my manual, so that I could refer to it. I am not suggesting that we are doing anything illegal, but working people to the limits only works short term. You know it as well as I do that people are dropping like flies, some on long term sickness, and of course there are plenty leaving!

Conny T Nental

The comparisons you draw between EZY & BMI are incredulous on two counts:

1) To compare short-haul with long haul just does not hold water.
2) EZY & BMI are well run companies unlike ours!

Ginger Boy

Comparing Ryanair with Silverjet again is pointless. I do work for Silverjet right here and now.

“Idea to help people to join on this thread?”

Yes – to give them informed facts about what is really going on. Don’t get me wrong, as I have said in previous posts, there are some good points, but an awful lot is not. We do agree on one point – unions, but not for the same reasons. I have yet to meet a supportive manager within Silverjet!

“Last thing guys, if u're not happy with the company, you can do as Stacey did, just leave the company cus if you are moaning in stead of working, you're not really making any good for the company (and trust me, we've got few moaners, they must come from super great airlines...)”

Why do you think she left?

Strake

Glad to see you like the product. I think we all agree that what we are striving for is good. I give you this thought of crew when you next fly – think of a duck on a calm lake heading towards the rapids, with its feet furiously paddling beneath the water to stay afloat!

JAL-Stacey

I have to commend you on your open, honest and frank account of Silverjet – a brave move in the face of the responses you are receiving for merely telling it how it was. The sad truth, despite statements to the contrary, is that nothing has changed; in fact it’s probably become worse!

I wish you all the best in the future.....

In summary I don’t think the aim of this post has been lost at all to quote Ginger Boy:

“the idea of this was to help people who want to join the company to have a clearer idea of what the airline is.”

I still work for them and sincerely hope that people like IanJ and Bestonboard will take on board the comments posted here.

Would I join this company again – No.

Do think I think it will improve? I hope so, but I doubt it.

Will I leave? I like many other colleagues are looking, but it’s that old trap of having to pay the bills!

Finally, read my previous posts and those of others and make your own mind up, and to quote Bestonboard:

“The grass is not always greener!!”

Couldn’t agree more and would urge anyone seriously thinking of leaving another company for Silverjet to bear this in mind!

Off for another day at Silverjet!

Safe flying to all.

Silverboy x