PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Down on Melbourne Beach
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 06:38
Revolutionary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh my, are we on again about this simple mishap? I'm going out on a limb here but... don't these kinds of upsets happen each day all over the world when relatively inexperienced pilots get in slightly over their heads? More than once I almost let a helicopter get away from me when I had less than 1,000 hours and was learning the ropes. Didn't we all?

Of course, none of my screw-ups were quite as spectacular as this one, nor were any caught on tape. And they never were in a bright orange R44 in front of a crowd of curious beachgoers either, but c'mon... This poor pilot's one instance of questionable airmanship has now generated two PPRUNE threads, a popular video and (God help us all) an official inquiry from the Australian ATSB.

O.K., so we have established that it was not LTE. I would also like to add that the sky is blue and that the Pope is a Catholic. She was almost hovering at high G/W and tried to turn downwind, using a fair dollop of pedal, no doubt. Now she knows what happens when you do that and I bet she won't do it again. And shouldn't that be the end of it? If she's an otherwise smart and competent pilot -which I'm sure she is- she will have learned from her experience and moved on.

Can we close the peanut gallery here at PPRUNE and allow her to get on with her life?