PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is a C172 capable of?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 04:02
Red777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The C172 is capable of doing stall turns...whether or not they are designed to fly such a manoeuvrer is another issue...I have seen many done during mustering ops and they have handled well. Don't recommend trying them without known how to do them properly. And if you do, do it in a plane built for aero’s. Also the manufacture won’t take any responsibility if something happens.

The C172 is a hardy a/c. I have landed them on clay-pans, gravel flats, both main and dirt roads, beaches and sealed RWY's. They handle ok, can be sloppy at slow speeds. I have had some good performance in them in 45degree heat mustering and pushed them to max +ve G's and could never fault them apart from being slow in cruise. Best T/O distance I have achieved was 290m with 60-75% fuel and only me (70kg) in approx 5kt headwind at about 12degrees C. I used a short field t/o technique with flaps 10. A/c was a C172SP.

As long as you fly them properly, within operational limits, like all a/c you will have no issues with them. Push them past there envelope and you’re on your own.

They train pilots in them and if you have watched or experienced a student pilot do a sh*t landing you will see how capable they can be.
Just my bit, redT7