PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX suspends Cooma services - due to pilot shortage
Old 4th Nov 2007, 02:00
aircraft

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KRUSTY 34 said:
Why were the REXPC being dishonest, when they were simply pointing out a possible course of action to retain experienced staff?
Because the REXPC knew pay rises would have almost no affect on pilot retention. I did actually say that in my post - if you had read it properly you wouldn't have had to ask me this question.

Of course pay rises of around $100K will result in a much greater likelihood of pilots staying but we all know (or should know) that rises of that magnitude are impossible. I also believe that rises of $20K are just as impossible.

If you truely believe that the retention of current pilots in this crisis has no merit ... If you believe that the retention of pilots has merit, then please feel free to share your thoughts on that also!
I have never made any comment on the merit, or otherwise, of retaining pilots, but as you have invited me to state the obvious:

Retaining pilots has merit.

landof4x said:
Anyone who has trained/operated with Asian crews for a significant time will be able to instantly recognise you have not done so, and are pulling stuff out your *** again.
Asian people are equally as capable as Australian or any other people at achieving excellence as a pilot - you said so yourself in your final paragraph.

The recent 73 overrun might be a good starting point.
Aviation history has many examples of this captain's behaviour, but not all those examples involved asian pilots.

Howard Hughes said:
Furthermore when a company starts to lose very experienced check and trainers, it is a sure fire sign that something is terribly wrong!
Rubbish. The movement is entirely related to the massive recruitment being undertaken by the major airlines.