PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conscientious objectors in Military aviation
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 02:52
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my view there are only two groups of people who should be allowed to be conchies in the military - the medics (doc, dentists, nurses etc.) and padres. These are the only peple who can guarantee that they will always be in non-combatant roles and as such their conchies status is irrelevant. In fact, of course, they are prevented from filling combatant roles by the oaths/vows taken to become a member of their cjosen vocation.

Anyone else who sees themselves as a conchie should get out - you are in under false pretences and your views (whilst valid in civvy life) could place you and a great number of other people in mortal peril.

If those views are held for religious, humanist, philosophical or squeamish reasons, those underlying reasons are irrelevant - it is the final implication that matters. If you are unable to place yourself in a position where you may have to kill, become a vicar, doctor, dentist, nurse or leave.

If those beliefs developed in service - then I am sorry but the forces are no longer for you. If you held them before you joined - why the he;; did you sign up?

I did not join the RAF to kill people (although I sometimes felt like doing it when dealing with Supply Sqn) but I accepted that as a trade of for doing what I really wanted - military flying. I ended up in jobs that meant I could be killed but not hit back - now I think that is thw worst of both worlds!