PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Down on Melbourne Beach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2007, 13:02
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the Low RPM horn have come on as a result of having full left boot in to stop the rotation.
Partly, I think you will find that the horn came on mostly because the collective was too high for the available engine power. Am I right in thinking the machine was rotating to the right?

Is it the case that if it rotated to the left then the aircraft was wind vaning itself and just got a bit over enthusiastic?
TW
I really think that your assumption of right rotation must be followed according to the ATSB report.

I suggest you dismiss your hypothesis in the second sentence.

The pilot more than likely had the LEFT pedal in to STOP the RIGHT ROTATION.

The pilot had only ever discussed (and that's speaks volumes for the lack of breadth of her training syllabus) the effects of LTE prior to this event according to the ATSB report.
- Not to mention discussing or training in LTA or VRS or any of the other baddies-. goddamn

The pilot may NOT have been aware that when the RRPM is very low as a result of a simple overpitch situation that the T/R may well run out of AUTHORITY, thus prompting a RIGHT YAW and an automatic reaction of MORE LEFT pedal IN.

Right pedal will unload, as will cyclic forward as will collective down. It's easy, pull your collective up at the hover until you are overpitching and try it.

At the end of the day little blame can really be apportioned a pilot who has unwittingly encountered a phenomina, which her previous training should have suited her for, had she been given it, in light of her tasking to be hovering at high AUW.

Once again, the responsibility for better training in these areas is required.
tet