PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky News - Rise Of The Machine: Who Needs Pilots?
Old 3rd Nov 2007, 07:49
Heimdall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who should operate the UAV / UCAV?

Perhaps the most interesting and accurate comment in the Sky News report was that in future individuals will not want to join the RAF as pilots or WSOs if it means they'll just end up flying a UAV or UCAV - they will "avoid it like the plague".

As the RAF needs to develop and retain an experienced pool of UAV / UCAV operators, who as individuals will be keen to remain within that community, rather than return to regular flying operations, perhaps it's time to consider whether employing highly trained aircrew for UAV / UCAV operations is the most cost effective and efficient long-term option?

Given the performance characteristics of the Predator, I would venture to suggest that anyone with a PPL and IR would be suitable for consideration for potential training. Lets remember that the Army currently operate the Hermes 450 in Iraq without the benefit of 'aircrew' and the US Army will soon be operating a version of the Predator without using 'aircrew', so the precedent has already been set elsewhere. Given the current C4 arrangements, obtaining weapons release approval from higher up the chain is not too difficult and may already be in use, so I would even suggest opening the gate for SNCOs - that's who the Army currently employ.

Given the continual shrinkage of the RAF, it's vitally important that the service makes the very best use of it's available assets and I am sure I am not alone in believing that the debate over how best to fill UAV / UCAV operators posts is one that will need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Heimdall