PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AGE
Thread: AGE
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 21:36
8028410q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 43 and have been working for a small LCC for the past two years based out of MAN, in fact, I'm the one who passed EGCC4284's CV to PD! How'ya doing EGCC?
I too started late, decided to go for my training at the age of 35, did it at 37, and finally got my foot in the door at the age of 40, now in the RHS of a 737, with 2200 hrs.
Although EGCC did not get the job with baby, he got to speak to the right people (PD), and networking is an important aspect for job hunting. EGCC made all the rights moves, as a refueller, he had access to the flightcrews on a daily basis and would pester us poor F/O's about who to contact, and how to contact them.
EGCC made a 'ballsy' move and asked me to forward his CV to our chief pilot, I could have chucked it in the gash bag, but didn't, knowing that I was once in his position, desperate for leads into the industry.
I'm glad you made it EGCC, and this should serve as an inspiration to the other older wannabee's out there.
My pieces of advice to those contemplating a career change:
1. if you're serious, do it - but never, ever give up.
2. if you know a pilot, pester him/cajole/threaten/buy him a beer, he could get your CV onto the table of the person who matters...
3. if you don't know a pilot, do as EGCC did, get a job where you can network your way into meeting the right people.
Best of luck to you all.
8028410q