PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media report on SA pilot exodus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 16:14
Avi8tor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, were off the topic. If I live in Jumeira or Waterkloof at present, who cares. South Africa is where most of our hearts are.

South Africa needs a HEALTHY strong airline industry. The guts of it is we need to level the playing field. Let the airline/airlines with the best business model win out. BA has announced awesome profits, they fly out of JNB, so do Virgin.

It says that SAA is going something very wrong. As I said in the previous post, SAA has awesome loads and market yields, so that leaves costs to tackle.

"....never in the field of human endeavor, have so many done so little for so much".

The golden rule in airlines is that you never have more staff than u have seats in your aircraft. I did the exercise pax'ing to CT, when I was there on holiday last, and around 9500 seats.
Once you have the numbers right, get the salaries inline with what people in SOUTH AFRICA will work for. The government says the unemployment number is like 25%, but I would guess closer to 40%.

Once SAA stops looking like a basket case, PRIVATISE!!! Then the shareholders will throw out piss poor management. You maximise profits by growing the airline. Then SAA can step up to the plate and get a chance to bat against EK, VS, BA etc.