PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media report on SA pilot exodus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 14:05
ZERO3L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAA

Following all these various threads about the future of SAA and its crews brings out a common thread. Those who are worried about their jobs(SAA crews) and those who obviously are not SAA employers.
What I find difficult to comprehend is the attitude of those who are clearly trying to defend their positions, and SAA, in these interesting times.
Having never worked there -or applied to join them, I get the feeling that they are a greedy bunch who are not prepared to negotiate their highly inflated salaries-in the South African context, that is.
When a company is bankrupt and only surviving due to it being a national carrier, with government support(and plenty of it), its irrelevant how hard they fought for their current package etc etc-times are tough. Face the reality of it-stop blaming management and negotiate a realistic salary package or move on.
If their salaries were not so drastically out of kilter with the rest of SA, it would be a different story.
I find it difficult to sympathise, given the hard facts. We all have friends working there and we all know how much you earn-give or take a thousand or two.
I see BA announced profits today of 580 million pounds odd....interesting.
Havent ever seen figures like that from SAA except when Coleman sold the 737-200's to Safair and leased them back.
I'm not trying to nail SAA pilots but their predicament is pretty obvious to everyone except themselves.